human-snake conflict management
- Snakes are the most misunderstood animals in the world.
- In India the snake is associated with myths & mythology.
- Due to the blind beliefs & wrong practices prevailing in Indian society, snakebite does take a ride in the country.
- According to WHO report, India tops the maximum number of snakebite death per annum in the entire world.
- Snake Helpline is just a small stepping stone in the movement towards reducing the curse of snake bite in the state of Odisha.
- Snake Helpline is devoted to Human-Snake Conflict Management.
- Snakebite has tremendous socio-economic impact on the rural population in Odisha.
- Snake envenoming is considered as a disease of poverty.
Why Snakebite is so important in Odisha?
The annual deaths caused due to snakebite in Odisha is increasing day by day.
2021 (up to may 31)- 426
2018 – 744
Source: SRC, Odisha.
Prof. Dr. Subrat Kumar Acharya,
(President, AIIMS, Bhubaneswar)
Prof. Dr. Gitanjali Batmanabane,
(Ex. Director, AIIMS, Bhubaneswar)
Snake Helpline initiated a novel movement in India to persuade snake rescuers to be responsible and not to indulge into making snake charming videos for various online social media platforms.